Thursday 12 April 2012

It's a long list

I'm continuing to work through all the unfinished piles of stuff that have been cluttering the workroom for far too long. You may remember seeing this quilt before!! I started doing quite a bit of hand quilting and seed stitching on it ages ago but it was looking like it might never get finished so today I pinned it on the longarm and set to work.


My challenge is to 'draw' the tree shapes across the middle of the quilt with my quilting so that they break through the solid vertical band.


I'll let you see how it turns out soon. Just outside my workroom door is this lovely distraction! It's an Amalanchier and at its absolute best this week despite the turbulent April weather.


I see it every time I go in and out of the workroom and love the delicate blossom against the bronze of the new leaves.


While I had my camera in hand I thought I'd try and show you how all the frogspawn in the garden pond was faring. If that heaving mass of tadpoles become frogs we'll be knee deep by the summer!


Finally, a question! Does anyone know what this is? He was on the outside of the window last night and quite reluctant to leave so I had plenty of time to take his picture this morning.


Here he is from another angle. Aren't his markings beautiful?


I'd love to hear from anyone who can shed light on his name!

Thanks for reading today - please come back again soon! Linda

10 comments:

  1. Hello Linda. I've found the name, it is a Phlogophora meticulosa, Noctuidae. It is active at night, lives mainly around the Mediterranean, but can also be found in Middle-Europe and Scandinavia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda. The moth is beautiful. It is widespread in Britain and common between May and October. Greta is right with the name. It's common name is Angle Shades which I think is beautifully descriptive.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, we're far behind you in terms of spring here in Finland. I reckon it'll be at least a month before I can see tadpoles as handsome as yours. The tree in your garden is gorgeous, and so is the quilt. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Greta and Maggi - I knew I could rely on someone to have the answer! I shall learn more about his kind now I have a name.

    Annika, I'm glad you like the blossom and the quilt - thank you for taking the time to write.

    ReplyDelete
  5. what an absolutely amazing blossom tree! I do love this time of year :) And the trees on your quilt are just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL; if I were on the window of your house, I'd be quite reluctant to leave too! Especially if it was the window of your studio!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a gorgeous moth! I suspect it heard of your moth work and wanted to add to the inspiration. Your quilt is gorgeous, as is the live tree outside your window. You are ahead of us in the Pacific Northwest. I am enjoying ever drop of color this spring. I am documenting where there are holes that can be filled with tulips and daffodils. Every fall I try to remember and decided to write it down! Novel concept. Wishing you a beautiful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always love to visit your blog. The combination of quilts and nature is marvellous (and sometimes food!).
    Beautiful moth, fits in your book as well!
    gr. Marjolijn

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's a pleasure to read your lovely comments - thank you all!!

    That moth will get his moment of fame. I'm sure he'll feature in the Moth book I'm still working on or the next Moth quilt. which is just at the planning stage. I don't know if I've explained this before but I use the moths to represent thoughts. The quilts are about forgetting and remembering. Moths are such insubstantial, ghostlike and transient creatures, here one minute, gone the next. Just like my memory in fact.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful moth Im sure it will feature somewhere in your lovely work. I do love the trees quilt I like your idea to separate the colours then bring them together with the tree branches.

    I posted on my blog yesterday about my little first painted quilt.

    ReplyDelete