I didn't have a lot of free time this weekend but I thought I'd baste some batting and backing to a piece of black cloth I'd discharged some while ago so I'd be ready to start quilting.
I can't remember if I've shown you this before - it was made by cutting a mask from freezer paper and applying DeColourant paste to discharge the black back through sepia tones to almost bone white. My plan was to quilt heavily and then add painted details delineated by the quilting.
It should have only taken five minutes to baste but as I was searching through my fabrics for a suitable piece of backing I came across this hand dye and thought it would be rather nice pieced into the black.
Further down the pile I found this silver grey and thought it would provide a nice flash of light.
With the bit between my teeth, I excavated another crate - this is one where I keep unfinished bits and pieces. Low and behold, two appliqued crows on exactly the right colour fabric surfaced from the depths.
And just because I might need a bit of foreground interest to achieve the right proportions I rifled the crate where I keep my 5" squares! So, next time anyone asks me how I design my quilts I may have to confess that sometimes I make it up as I go along!
Thanks for reading this. I shall post a picture of the quilt top once all the components are together. It's going to look very different from my original plan! Talk to you soon - Linda