Sunday 31 August 2014

If you can't join 'em, beat 'em

I went into my favourite dress store last week to enquire about a gorgeous dress in the window. On discovering that although it was a simple shape and sleeveless, so it would need a long sleeved T shirt or sweater to complete the outfit, it was £249 - I decided it might be time to do a bit more dressmaking!


Having recently treated myself to this new Vogue pattern I ransacked my fabric stash to see if I had anything suitable. It had to be 2 way stretch and although I didn't have enough fabric to make the single colour version, by combining two different jersey fabrics I could make the contrast view B.


I'm pretty pleased with the way it turned out and will definitely use this pattern again.


Next time I think I'll make the sleeveless version - it'll be great for winter worn over a polo neck sweater!

Thanks for reading! Love Linda


11 comments:

  1. It's lovely and presumably didn't come to quite £249!
    I do like a dress with pockets - saves having to shove your hanky up your knicker leg!
    Gill x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should have mentioned that I bought the two remnants for £1 each at the Birmingham Rag Market a few months ago. Even taking the cost of the pattern and thread into consideration it's still a pretty good bargain - I estimate the dress cost me less than £8!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful!!! Just a lovely outfit!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always love it when you make clothing! It takes me back to the 50's when I saw my first sewing machine. Good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful dress, and as always you inspire me to get on and create (although I'm convinced you have more than the usual 24 hours in your day!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. waaay cute (as we say in California) and so very flattering. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this dress!!! You made a lovely outfit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely Linda, I can "see" you in it. Might just get the pattern and make as a tunic top myself!.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great dress and what a bargain!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for all your comments ladies! Laura spotted a couple of patterns she thought I'd like yesterday. She bought them online as the downloadable version that you can print yourself. As soon as we've taped all the sheets together and traced the patterns out we'll be raring to go - watch this space!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The dress has turned out beautifully, I purchased that pattern a few months ago and have done nothing with it yet, I also just bought a Husqvarna S21, which is all your fault, after seeing it on your blog I have hankered after it all this time, so really no excuses now :)
    This book also has wonderful patterns available to download and print http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bold-Beautiful-Easy-Sew-Habibe-Acikgoz/dp/1906417849/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1409839700&sr=1-1&keywords=bold+and+beautiful+easy+sew+clothes

    ReplyDelete