Friday 21 November 2014

One thing leads to the next

When I'm asked where my ideas come from I always say from working. Whenever I am involved in one piece of work ideas for the next thing present themselves unbidden. DMTV members will have seen the small art quilt I made recently when I was inspired by the paintings of Paul Klee. It was such  a rich source of inspiration I couldn't help but have thoughts of the next quilt I would make!


I can show you one edge of 'To the Brim' but I'm keeping the rest of the quilt under wraps because it will be exhibited next year with Through Our Hands. I must keep some things secret for the big reveal!.


I'm combining hand dyes, block prints and digital prints. They all look rather confused at the moment, especially with the gold text I've block printed around the brim of the quilt. I'm confident after making my small quilt that the appliqué, hand painting and of course, the quilting which has yet to happen will bring it all together!


The big excitement today was seeing one of my watercolour still life paintings being digitally printed on Fingerprint's wide format printer.


Here's a single print on cotton poplin fabric. The fabric has to be steamed, washed, dried and then pressed before I can get my hands on it. I can't wait to begin the stitching! Laura will be putting two sizes of the panels in the fingerprint store next week so if you like the look of them you'll be able to buy one of your own. Of course you might be tempted to have your own art work printed instead!


As you probably know if you're a regular reader, I had a purge of my studio recently. One of the benefits of a good clear out is all the stuff you find that you'd forgotten you had. The watercolour painting of the rather oddly shaped apple will now be incorporated into a book I'm altering.


And the tulips drawn with oil pastel with an added wash of intense watercolour will fit right in too! It feels wonderful to find a permanent place for them after they've been lost for so long!

Thanks for reading - I'll be back again soon. Love Linda

2 comments:

  1. Lovely work as usual...the prints on fabric are beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So beautiful! Warm greetings from Montreal, Canada.

    ReplyDelete