Wednesday 6 July 2011

Cynon Valley Museum and Gallery

We knew the gallery in Aberdare were planning to produce a brochure for our exhibition which opened last Saturday but we hadn't seen a copy until it arrived in the mail today. What a fantastic job they have done. I just had to share a few of the pages with you!


It's difficult to photograph the brochure very well because the pages are so shiny and reflective.  Not that I'm complaining - glossy paper gives the colours real depth. On first glance it looks as though there is quite a bit of text but it's actually just brief descriptions in 2 languages - we've exhibited in Wales before but it's still a treat to see your own words translated into Welsh!


Funny how scale in a photograph can play tricks on you - the crow painting illustrated on the left is about 30cms square whereas the enormous painted cherries quilt on the right is a couple of metres tall! Some visitors who have only seen the brochure may be surprised when they come face to face with the real things!


Painting a single cherry onto a tiny wooden panel last Sunday was a good deal quicker than painting these cherries which are as big as footballs!


These pages show 2 of Laura's painted quilts. The piece on the left is about a metre square if I remember correctly. The one on the right is 35 cms square. You have no idea of that from the picture do you? Sometimes the camera can deceive!

I've spent most of today in the studio, still working on the highly secret garments for the fashion show. I'm grateful there were no cameras to record it but I think you'd have been amused if you could have spied on me. I had 3 machines on the go pretty much all day. An overlocker, a sewing machine and an embroidery machine. I can set the embroidery machine to do it's own thing and be sewing either on the ordinary machine or the overlocker while it does. If the bleeper on the embroidery machine lets me know a thread colour needs changing or the bobbin has run out I can scoot across the room on my wheely office chair without even having to stand up. It's hardly aerobic exercise so why am I so exhausted at the end of the day?

Oh well, onwards and upwards! Talk to you soon - Linda

5 comments:

  1. The pictures are lovely. Your background is striking, but I can't read more than a few words here and there because of the color. Wish you could change that please............love your work.
    janice/Houston,Tx USA

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, as soon as I signed in to Google to post, the words showed up much better? who knew???? will have to remember that each week!!!


    janice/Houston

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of success on your show. I had quite a giggle picturing you flying across the room between machines with pins in your mouth and hair all mussed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll bet the show is wonderful! If I lived a bit closer (on your side of the pond) I'd travel to see it. I just LOVE the work that you and Laura do Linda! Congrats on what I am sure turned out to be a great show.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everything looks amazing. Much success with the show.

    Happy Summer. Madeline

    ReplyDelete