Tuesday 12 July 2011

I had a milestone birthday this week. Turning 60 is a shock to the system but, a day later, nothing seems changed, the world is still turning and apart from the fact I keep telling everyone I'm 60 now you know like some scratched record, everything is back to normal!



I have been treated to some wonderful gifts. So what do you give the woman who has everything? Well what about an adjustable sewing stool? Laura spotted this piece of industrial history in a local antique shop.



If you look closely at the feet you can see it was made for Singer sewing machines. I can alter the height of the seat until it's a perfect match for my sewing table.



And how about this for a fascinating object? The 'other half' found the key case in an architectural salvage yard. It may have taken a while but it seems we've got him trained to find treasure at last!




I've always loved the shapes of keys and we've been using them a lot in our work recently, both for printing and embroidery. Ideally it's best if the keys belong to your own house or somewhere you lived in the past - that way it feels that they have greater significance in your artwork but there's a limit to the number of old keys you can accumulate over the years so finding a ready made collection like this is definitely the next best thing.




After scanning and digitising the shapes are stitching out beautifully. This detail shows them used on the sleeve of a fake leather (pleather) jacket which we'll be displaying on our stand at Festival of Quilts next month. Just writing that it's happening next month throws me into a panic - there's still so much to do and so little time to do it in! Better get back on the case!!

Talk to you again soon - Linda

8 comments:

  1. Happy birthday Linda. I passed that milestone four years ago and am still around :-))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy (belated) Birthday Linda!
    60 is just a figure...
    You got nice presents, I love the Singer stool and keys always intrige me. I have a big jar full, they all once were used by our relatives allthough I only remember the purpose of just a few of them.
    I hope to see what you did with them next month!

    Take care and enjoy getting older...

    ReplyDelete
  3.  ¨**•.¸¸♥ ♪ ♥¸¸.•**¨**•♫♪ Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, HAPPY BIRTHDAY...... DEAR Linda !!!! Happy Birthday to you!! ♪♫•**¨**•. ♪ ♥ ♪¸.•*¨*•♫ ♥ ♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥ *♥**♥*

    ReplyDelete
  4. happy birthday, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday and welcome to senior land. The decay really starts after 65.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful treasure trove of goodies! I love the sewing stool and the key box, be still my heart! I hope you continue to celebrate, you only turn 60 once!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy belated birthday, Linda. Welcome to
    the 60's club. It scared the bejesus out of me
    but I'm over it now.

    Love your fabulous stool and key cabinet/keys.
    I have a small stash of antique keys, too. They fascinate
    me. Also love those old door handles and locks, do you?

    Madeline

    ReplyDelete
  8. A belated Happy Birthday, Linda! I also celebrated mine last week, and think an "overlocker" might be coming my way soon :o)
    This year I am travelling across to B'ham from Norway again for Festival, and am looking forwards to seeing your stand there.

    ReplyDelete