Wednesday 22 November 2017

Never too late!

They say it helps to keep learning new things as you get older don't they? The concentration required to pick up a new skill stimulates the brain cells and slows down their deterioration.


With that in mind I've joined a ukulele band! The first session was last week and to be perfectly honest I just mimed most of the time. It was fast and furious and I had no chance at all of keeping up. Luckily, there were about 80 people there playing their hearts out and a raw beginner can get away with murder when the music is so loud! How anyone is expected to read words off the song sheet, look at the chord diagrams, find the right strings and strum and sing at the same time is beyond me at this point.


Since the first session I've been making time to practice a few chords. I would have thought my hands were quite flexible because of all the things I do with them - sadly it turns out that's not the case. That's F above - quite a stretch for me.


But G is much worse - I feel like a finger contortionist! 'He Who Gardens' has been playing guitar since he was 11 years old and is being encouraging. Apparently all I have to do is practice. I have already made quite a sacrifice - I had to chop off my too long fingernails so I could even reach the strings. Oh the things we have to do for our art!!

I'll let you know how the second session goes. Bye for now - Linda x




7 comments:

  1. Hurrah for you! I tried to learn the guitar when I was in my teens (that whole flower child hippie thing). It was hilarious. By the time I figured out the fingering, everyone was on the next verse. I played piano, but it is nothing like the stringed instruments. Wishing you good luck and remember, nails will grow back. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun and what great stimulation to our old brains! HA Good for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the ukulele is very fun. No one can take themselves too seriously while playing and singing with abandon is the very best. Huntington Beach, Calif

    ReplyDelete
  4. My musical sister has taken up the ukelele thanks to winning a course at Denman College. She is now teaching other people to play and appears to be getting a lot of fun from it. So good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you are looking for a positive lending experience I would recommend Le_Meridian Funding Service. It is surprisingly easy to receive a debt help. You will be treated with respect and professionalism Because they helped me with loan too . Email Contact..lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Useful article, thank you for sharing the article!!!

    Website bloggiaidap247.com và website blogcothebanchuabiet.com giúp bạn giải đáp mọi thắc mắc.

    ReplyDelete