Sunday 23 October 2011

I love Sundays!

I remember hating Sundays when I was younger. Nothing seemed to happen, everything was shut and the day seemed interminable. Funny thing is, those are the things I love about Sundays now!


It's my day to potter about doing what I enjoy. I've been whiling away a lot of time researching Japanese art in preparation for next year's exhibition at the Needle Museum. Birds like the one above are common motifs so I've decided it's crazy to work with an inspiration that's alien - I shall stick with my usual Crows and Rooks but attempt to give them an Oriental twist.


This fellow was given a leafy sprig to hold today and the addition of a gold leaf sun. I'm using acrylic paints and gesso for this panel.


Those of you who've been following DMTV recently will recognise the ink and gouache resist technique I've been experimenting with here.


I think I'm getting to grips with the technique now and the results are more predictable the more I do!


Sundays are also about spending time in the kitchen although I'm not at all sure what I will do with this crop of chillis! This is the tip of the iceberg - there's lots more to pick. If anybody has any recipe ideas I'd love to hear them.


Of course it wouldn't be Sunday without baking! Today's efforts are just out of the oven and smell wonderful.

Thanks for taking the time to join me! I hope you had a productive Sunday too. Bye for now - Linda

9 comments:

  1. a very yummy post - in so many different ways. chillis do freeze very well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, freeze them. They do go a little soft when defrosted so not too great in salads but still fabulous for cooking and last for ages.

    Are you using a mat medium for the gold leaf or size?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The ink/gouache background really shows the potential of this technique. Note to self - practise more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you see the BBC autumn watch on Friday? They were showing the big black birds in Britain. You would have loved it. Never realized that the raven was such a big bird.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So they freeze - who'd have thought it? I usually air dry them in garlands but I shall try something different this year. Thank you!

    I'm applying the gold leaf to tacky size. Very addictive!

    Also addicted to gouache and ink resist - may need a follow up on DMTV soon.

    Drat it, missed the birds-will have to try and catch it on my computer. Thanks for letting me know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw autumn watch as well, and actually thought of you and really hoped you were watching. Try BBC iPlayer. It was actually Unsprung that you needed to watch - they had some tame birds on. And the raven is really large compared to the crow.

    Oh, and for the chilies a friend of mine makes chili jam - absolutely delicious, but I am afraid I don't have the recipe. You might find it if you google.

    Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi everyone. thanks for thinking of me! I just watched the programme on iPlayer. I want that Raven - isn't he a beauty?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also do a chilli jam. I use Sarah Raven's recipe from her Garden Cookbook. I use double the amount of chilli as I am a bit of a chilli head. If you cook now it matures in time for Christmas to go with cold turkey. Also makes a lovely Christmas gift in a small kilner jar with a mob cap, ribbon and decorated label.

    500g very ripe tomatoes
    4 garlic cloves
    4 large red chillies, peeled and chopped
    6-7cm piece frsh ginger peeled
    30ml Thai fish sauce
    300g golden caster sugar
    100ml red wine vinegar

    Puree half the tomatoes, garlic, chillies and ginger and blitz to a puree in a food processor. Pour into a heavy based saucepan with the sugar, fish sauce and vinegar, bring to the boil, stirring slowly.
    Reduce to a simmer.
    Dice the remaining tomatoes finely and add to the pan. Simmer for 30-40 minutes, stirring from time to time. It will turn dark and sticky.
    Store in sterilised jars and seal whilst the mixture is still warm.

    Jacqui

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jacqui - thanks so much for the recipe. I think I'll treble the quantities and give as presents as you suggest.

    ReplyDelete