I spent part of the morning answering email. Holidays can be busy for us because online students find they have lots of extra time to get on with coursework. I could leave it until after the weekend but I don't want to hold anyone up when they're keen to make progress. I know just how that feels - this afternoon I've been able to make progress myself! Using the boat print as my starting point I've sorted out lots of scraps that are at least wide enough to cut into inch and a half strips.
I've pieced, sliced and diced the strips to make Rail Fence blocks. I think they're working quite nicely with the colours of the peeling paint and I like the idea of the formal square shapes contrasting with the gentle curves of the boat timbers. It's very satisfying to use up bits and pieces in some proper patchwork - I don't know why I don't do this more often!
I also trimmed and pieced the lino block prints and rubbings into a long band. I'm hoping it might be just the right thing to make an interesting border.
I pieced different rubbings to introduce some pale colour and to make the strip long enough.
I shall make lots more Rail Fence blocks tomorrow so I can play with the arrangement of colours. It won't matter if I make too many. None will be wasted - they'll just come in for the next quilt! I know I've got some lovely rusted fabrics hidden away somewhere. They could be perfect in this piece so finding them will also be my mission in the morning.